What gives mountaineers the energy to risk their lives to climb Mt. Everest? What gave Michelangelo the energy to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? Here are some tips for making achieving your goals easier, more fun and more fulfilling:
1. Program your subconscious mind to be 100% on board with your goal. Attitude and mindset is everything. When the excitement of the challenge outweighs your fear of failure, the “work” becomes effortless play and you will become unstoppable. You need to believe in yourself and be confident that you can achieve what you set out to do. Remember, believe you can, believe you can’t, either way you are right. Don’t let obstacles stop you. If you hit an obstacle or experience a setback, re-program your mind to get back on a positive, productive track. Don’t let negative thoughts block you from making progress.
2. Make sure you’ve set a goal that speaks to your soul. Some clues that you are on target: 1. you get a pleasant warm feeling inside when you think about it 2. this is what you really want, not what will make your parents proud or impress your friends and, 3. it makes you stretch. (Yes, your soul wants you to go beyond your current limits.)
3. Get clear about what you need to do to make it happen. Write down the steps you need to take to see your goal created. Then, break down each step into doable actions. Commit to taking just one action a day.
4. Stay persistent. Get 100% excited about seeing your goal created. Going for a big goal takes a lot of energy. One of the great secrets of super goal achievers is that their energy comes from enthusiasm, not effort. Sure, there are going to be times when the going gets tough and you are going to want to throw in the towel. (See step #1.)
5. Don’t wait to start until you have all the steps figured out. Remember that you don’t need to have all the answers right now. The actions you take will often automatically lead you to your next step.
6. Remember creativity is a zig zag process. Don’t be too rigid about sticking to your original plan. You will want to modify it as better ideas reveal themselves. Be open to new ideas and new ways of doing things.
7. If you feel like you are putting in a lot of effort and beating your head against the wall,take a break. Do something fun to relax your mind. Sometimes the best ideas come from unexpected places.
8. Don’t feel like you need to know everything. Listen to other people. Get their feedback.
9. Remember that there are no mistakes, only learning experiences. Sometimes the only way you can find the right way is by taking the wrong way first. Don’t beat yourself about it. Just appreciate the wisdom gained and use it to do better next time.
10. Be patient with yourself and with the process. Remember that Rome was not built in a day. Whenever you go for a big goal you have to realize that it is not going to happen overnight. Just stay positive, keep on going and eventually you’ll get there. (Or some place even better.)